Maybe this poor hen has a hormone disorder. I wouldn't do anything harsh like locking her in a wire cage and letting a rooster rape her. Since she isn't going out to look for bugs and herbs, she COULD be missing something in her diet. Maybe just take her out and set her with the others while they are free ranging every day, so at least she gets some excersize. Good, sweet Momma hens are so wonderful, it would be sad to "punish" her. Maybe this will just 'run it's course' and you won't have to interfere. But she probably does need some excersize and a chance to take a dirt bath or she could get sick.
Deb Buckler
--- In CHICKENS-101@yahoogroups.com, dupperdog@... wrote:
>
> Couple of things I have heard but not tried:
>
> Put her in a cage with a wire bottom, no nesting material, no eggs, of
> course.
>
> Put her in a cage or small pen with a very "active" rooster.
>
> I have a couple of broody banties I will be trying to break in the next
> couple of days. I plan on putting them in a strange pen and gradually
> introducing some strange chickens. Will see if that works.
>
> Your hen sounds extreme in the broodiness department. Maybe the only
> solution would be to use her to incubate eggs and let her raise the chicks. She
> should go through a period of a few weeks while she is raising the chicks
> and laying eggs for a new clutch where she is not broody.
>
> kathy
>
>
>
| Reply via web post | Reply to sender | Reply to group | Start a New Topic | Messages in this topic (7) |
CHICKENS-101@yahoogroups.com
No comments:
Post a Comment