Tuesday, June 11, 2013

[CHICKENS-101] Re: How to break a broody hen?

 

I can't put her out to free range with the rest of the flock because she just runs back to the hen house. I have to leave the hen house available for my other hens to lay. putting her in the 10x10 fenced enclosure connected to the hen house and closing the access door is the only way I have to separate her from the nest boxes and still give her room to move, eat and drink.
--- In CHICKENS-101@yahoogroups.com, "colinb" <gotrandy@...> wrote:
>
>
> Maybe this poor hen has a hormone disorder. I wouldn't do anything harsh
> like locking her in a wire cage and letting a rooster rape her. Since
> she isn't going out to look for bugs and herbs, she COULD be missing
> something in her diet. Maybe just take her out and set her with the
> others while they are free ranging every day, so at least she gets some
> excersize. Good, sweet Momma hens are so wonderful, it would be sad to
> "punish" her. Maybe this will just 'run it's course' and you won't have
> to interfere. But she probably does need some excersize and a chance to
> take a dirt bath or she could get sick.
>
> Deb Buckler

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (12)
Recent Activity:
To post a message to the list go to
CHICKENS-101@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment