Friday, May 27, 2011

Re: [CHICKENS-101] Portable coops - tractors

 

You are correct, Liz, in that the portability of the tractor type of run/coop makes it more vulnerable to predators.  You could have a sturdy coop for nighttime and use the tractor during the day.

I don't have a tractor system.  My pens are 5X10 foot dog kennels, the Doc Bob ones sold by Tractor Supply, with fiberglass roofing.  I use wood shavings for bedding and hanging water and feed containers.

Georgia

For all your chicken's clothing needs, go to
www.chickensaddlesanddiapers.webs.com

--- On Sat, 5/28/11, Liz <lizsimmons@ymail.com> wrote:

From: Liz <lizsimmons@ymail.com>
Subject: [CHICKENS-101] Portable coops - tractors
To: CHICKENS-101@yahoogroups.com
Date: Saturday, May 28, 2011, 3:44 AM

Hi, as I'm trying to figure out what type of chicken coop we'd like, I've come across the information that by using a portable coop, aka tractor, the chickens get all-natural grains and insects in their diet which could provide tastier eggs. My question is, isn't the lack of protection underneath a portable coop a concern for predators? When building their daytime run, I had planned on including some extra protection underground under the fence to protect from digging predators.



------------------------------------

To post a message to the list go to
CHICKENS-101@yahoogroups.comYahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CHICKENS-101/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CHICKENS-101/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    CHICKENS-101-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CHICKENS-101-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    CHICKENS-101-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To post a message to the list go to
CHICKENS-101@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment