A similar fine 'dust' accumulates at the bottom of my meal worm containers as I often just toss fresh wheat bran on top of the old stuff when I am too busy to mess with the worms. I think what you are seeing is the 'waste' from the meal worms/pupae/beetles. Since I feed the worms carrots, my dust contains orange-ish flecks. About once a month or two :) I sift out the worms and beetles with a hand sifter and put them in a fresh container of wheat bran. I let the 'dust' sit in another container with a carrot to let the microscopic worms grow - you can actually see the dust move if you pay close attention. I keep sifting out the worms as more of them mature. At some point I toss the 'dust' into the chicken yard for the chickens to scratch.
Shirley
25 miles east of San Francisco in Northern California
--- In CHICKENS-101@yahoogroups.com, Donna Carkin <dcarkin1@...> wrote:
>
> I'm having problems with my meals worms. Been raising them successfully
> through several batches (pupae through bettle and so on). I now have a
> very fine dust being generated all around the outside of the container.
> It's all over the cabinet where I keep them..... oy vey... help
>
> Donna
>
CHICKENS-101@yahoogroups.com
No comments:
Post a Comment