I took Marlene’s advice a couple weeks ago and tube-fed my 9-wk old ameraucana. I was able to get a medicine syringe from CVS in a pinch (like what you use with children for liquid medicine) and a 4-6 inch piece of aquarium air tubing which fit on the syringe nozzle perfectly. My syringe was only 10 mL, but it was for a fairly young pullet. Depending on the age of your chicken you might need something larger. I think Marlene uses a syringe with cat catheter, if I remember correctly.
Tube feeding does make it easier to include medicines, supplements, etc. to the food to ensure they get everything they need, until they are able to take in for themselves. These little guys waste away quickly, so don’t delay too long. YouTube was also helpful. I also dipped the end of the tube in olive oil to help lubricate, as Marlene suggested.
Good luck!
Martha
Saint Petersburg, FL
------------
>My girl is still not eating. She is like a zombie. She just sits there and you can walk right up to her. She moves a little and stands but just stares, blankly. Is there anything I can give her to pep her up? Is there a recommended way of force-feeding? Should I tube feed her?
yes, tube feeding is the easiest way to get enough quantity into them.
CHICKENS-101@yahoogroups.com
No comments:
Post a Comment