Sunday, June 26, 2011

Re: [CHICKENS-101] Keeping a plastic chicken waterer clean in summer

 

If it is mainly green on the inside, fill it with water and add about half a cup of bleach. Let it sit for a few hours and it will kill all the algae. If the algae is on the outside, you could put the whole thing in a five gallon bucket with bleach water. Of course, it helps to have another waterer to use while the dirty one is soaking. I actually have three which I alternate. I need them in the winter, when one is sure to be frozen.
 
Kathy
 
In a message dated 6/26/2011 8:53:43 P.M. Central Daylight Time, morningstarlearning@gmail.com writes:
Hi All,

I have a plastic chicken waterer that seems to work pretty well in spring and fall, but in summer I have a hard time keeping green then blackish algae from growing on it.  I've tried vinegar, but I'm not sure the chickens like that in their water.  So I stopped.  If I go back to vinegar should I use white or apple cider?

Granted, I CAN scrub it every three days, but my kids are supposed to do the chicken water job and though I ask them to wash it thoroughly, and they try, they never get all the places the algae grows.  And then I find it all overgrown.

Do they make a metal automatic chicken waterer?  Would this work better than plastic?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Truly,

Britta in WI




------------------------------------

To post a message to the list go to
CHICKENS-101@yahoogroups.comYahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CHICKENS-101/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CHICKENS-101/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    CHICKENS-101-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CHICKENS-101-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    CHICKENS-101-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To post a message to the list go to
CHICKENS-101@yahoogroups.com
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment