Sunday, February 2, 2014

Re: [CHICKENS-101] Re: [Chickens101] rooster temperment

 

Better yet I'd spray them all to make sure they do not have them and spray below, around, the walls, around the roost and perches.

 
Cathryn  rainbowsilkiesTM  in  Michigan







On Sunday, February 2, 2014 9:41 PM, Deb and Randy Buckler <gotrandy@tcsn.net> wrote:
 

Cassie, that boy might have mites. The hens might be seeing the mites moving around his vent, so they might be trying to pick them off. Of course, if he has brought mites to your coop....sigh! Get busy!  EVERYone will have them soon. Check him over thoroughly. Pull his feathers back and look for any "bugs" moving around.
Deb
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, February 02, 2014 5:33 PM
Subject: Re: [CHICKENS-101] Re: [Chickens101] rooster temperment

 
Wowza! What a beast. My girls are doing something to him. He's missing feathers near the base of his butt. No skin showing but they appear to be doing something to him. 

Cassie



On Feb 2, 2014, at 5:16 PM, Anita Bingamon <anita@bingamon.com> wrote:

 
I put one hand on his neck and the other arm around his body. I may get
bit during the process, but I get him. Then I talk to him and gently
scold him for being mean, like, "I love you so much and you're so mean
to me - " that sort of silly thing. I also rub his comb and wattles and
sweet talk him, holding on his body firmly and still holding the neck,
but not strangling him. It isn't easy scooping a flogging, biting rooster.

Remember the one rooster a friend of mine had found on his land? He was
a pretty partridge colored standard sized young cockerel and acted as
nice as could be when we took him home and put him in a cage. Two days
later, when I put a hen in with him, he tore off the back of her head to
her skull, while trying to mate her. I spent some time putting Kut
Kote, Blu Kote and cleaning her wound. It took a little over a month
for the hole in her head to heal up and grow feathers. A few days
later, we found him stretched out dead in his cage. I wonder if he had
been booted out of the farm because he was so rough in mating.

Anita B., SW Ohio


__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (11)
Recent Activity:
To post a message to the list go to
CHICKENS-101@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment