We would watch our sheep very carefully a couple times a day for any sign of maggots and at the first sign would spray the area with screw worm spray. The best symptom was a dirty or shiny rear end. If they had not been sheared, it was sometimes hard to catch right away, because the maggots would be below the wool eating their flesh. And yes, within a day those flesh eating maggots would cover the entire back quarter and be moving up toward their ribs. I still remember washing wounds from the maggots, and spraying them with the insecticide. One lamb had them so bad that I sat on the lawn with baby shampoo scrubbing him and getting as many off as I could. We then sprayed him, but he looked so funny because the wool had fallen off where those maggots were living, leaving him bare on his back half.
--- In CHICKENS-101@yahoogroups.com, angels4animals@... wrote:
>
> This is really odd but thought someone in this group may have heard of this. I took in a 8wk old lamb from my neighbor. The same neighbor I am bottle feeding kids for. I put the lamb into a separate pen to quarantine her. I checked her this morning she was fine. An hour later I went out and she was dead. I thought well I would butcher her off at least and see if there was a way for her not to go to waste. I picked her up and moved her went inside to get the knifes to do the deed. When I came out she had maggots on her hind quarter and front leg. These where not house fly maggots but inch long jumbo maggots. So I started looking her over and found everywhere I was touching and pulling on her skin minutes later there where maggots seemly coming from her inside out. Like they where burrowing threw her skin to get out. Is it possible that she had maggots in her? I have heard of animals with an injury that get fly eggs laid in the would and when they hatch the toxic gases from the maggots can kill an animal. But she had no visible injures. I have to admit this kind of freaked me out. And the maggots where huge! We disposed of her instead of butchering her.
> Jeannette
> Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®
>
CHICKENS-101@yahoogroups.com
No comments:
Post a Comment