Anne,
I got my guineas a year ago, and except for being great watchdogs (better than a doorbell any day), mine won't leave to roam. I got 10, one broke a leg at 3 wks and had to be put down, then 5 flew off the nest one night into the dark never to return. It was my fault, I heard them doing the GAK! GAK! GAK! and went out to the barn and when I flew open the gate they fled. Of the four I have left if one got out it would run screaming around the fence line trying to jam it's body thru the chain link. It was rather comical. Only when I started free ranging the chickens did they start to follow. And it took several days for them to remember where the opening is to get back in. Even now I've never seen them farther than 200 yds from the house and that is rare.
They love to get on top of the house (well, actually I live in a tin can) first thing in the morning and run back and forth to survey the area. Sometimes they GAK, sometimes they just pound back and forth. (My alarm bell!). I don't know that I would get more, but I've grown fond of these and their antics. Although I wonder frequently if they really have any brain cells:)
Hope you enjoy yours!
Renee
S CA
PS If you have the ability to spray your trees, use dove dishsoap in the water spray and it really helps keep the tick population down. Got that off the tick L list, a fantastic place to learn more about dogs and ticks.
>
> ________________________________
> From: Hudson <lovedle2@...>
> To: CHICKENS-101@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Thu, April 21, 2011 10:21:46 PM
> Subject: Re: [CHICKENS-101] guinea question Attn: Susan
>
>
> Hi Susan:
>
> I'm really getting excited about have a few 'loud' guineas, because I
> understand they will be very loud if overhead predators are around, plus the
> fact they eat ticks and other insects, in addition to deterring snakes.
>
> I sure hope all of this is true, and I don't get a bunch of fowl who just
> love to sit around and squawk all day and night.>
> Anne H.
>
> _._,___
>
CHICKENS-101@yahoogroups.com
No comments:
Post a Comment