Saturday, January 29, 2011

Re: [CHICKENS-101] Re: Removing rooster's spurs with a baked potato!

 

Sorry folks, I should added more detail. I saw the info and thought it interesting to pass along, but it's not something I'll ever do myself. I don't do roosters here. Girls only allowed. (Should paint that above the hen house door.)  ;o)
 
--Shelley
 
rom: CathrynTherese Fitch Walden <cathryntherese@yahoo.com>
To: CHICKENS-101@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sat, January 29, 2011 1:37:20 AM
Subject: Re: [CHICKENS-101] Re: Removing rooster's spurs with a baked potato!
Shelley, I use this way only I do not force the skin around the spur loose, I jiggle back and forth gently for about 15-20 seconds and the spur falls off.  The way you showed us is much safer for the bird and you.  You can put blood stop on the exposed spur which is very tender and will discourage spurring/fighting. Cathryn

> --Shelley
>
This does not remove the spur but only the hard outer casing, really n0o need for the hot potato which can burn you and the rooster (or hen, yes some hens have spurs, too). I just use a pliers and getly grsp the spur casing and twist and pull at the same time. The casing comes off and the soft inner spur is left, sometimes there is a little blood but it only seeps for a few seconds and is fine.
There is a video on You Tube of a poultry judge showing how to do this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgRmPuAEr6A


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To post a message to the list go to
CHICKENS-101@yahoogroups.com
MARKETPLACE

Find useful articles and helpful tips on living with Fibromyalgia. Visit the Fibromyalgia Zone today!


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment