Tuesday, December 4, 2012

[CHICKENS-101] Re: from 4 chooks to this! OMG Should I be worried. LOL.

 

 Alex still doesn't look "great".  He really damaged the feather folical, I think....I'm telling you, he was pretty close to looking like those featherless chickens. It was horrible. I did do every thing I could to stop him from plucking...all the "Pick-no-more" stuff and all. Nothing did any good except for physically holding him so he couldn't pick. He has the 'obcessive compulsive' gene, which came from his bloodline, so it didn't matter what I fed him, or what "snake oil" I put on him.  To make matters worse, I was sad everytime I looked at him, and he could tell I was unhappy with him, so then HE'D be upset and go pick.  I would hold him and tell him "Don't pick your feathers, Alex".  But then I remembered, our brains don't process the word "don't". All he'd 'hear' was  ____ pick your feathers'. So I started telling him, "Alex, leave your feathers alone. Let your feathers grow out. And "oh Alex! Your feathers are so pretty! (I was lying, but in pretending to be happy, I think he thought I was happy with him. Little by little....VERY slowly, more feathers started growing back. At least you can see what color he's supposed to be. But it's nothing like he used to be and I still can't take him out in public since he still has alot of RED skin showing. Maybe if he molts, he'll get some pretty new feathers, but for now, he's still pretty spiney!

 Thanks for asking, Jane and Cath!

Deb

 


--- In CHICKENS-101@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Mulraney <kraney51@...> wrote:
>
> Thanks Deb. How about that then, Alex has grown beautiful new feathers . I bet he looks amazing! Did you change his diet or routine in any way? Jane & co
>

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (23)
To post a message to the list go to
CHICKENS-101@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment