Hi Y'all:
Thanks so much for all the wise answers on my become a new Mom. I have
decided to purchase about 15 babies. Thank you Kate for taking the time to
write. Your reply has convinced me. Yes! I'll have lots of patience. I'm
sure they will be protectors of my beautiful flock of hens. (42). I do
worry about hawks, although at the present time they are protected overhead
by Kite string every 12-14" apart. (Ol Georges idea). I've put out lots of
CD's, plastic owl and radio. I'm ordering a scarecrow form and will make up
a real ugly Dude. LOL! However, I want my chicks to run out in the pasture
and I'll be constantly worried about them. I'm expecting miracles from the
Guinea's I suppose. They'll sure have a good home here and we are anxious
to get our order placed this weekend.
Have a wonderful Easter.
Anne H.
Middle Georgia
On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 8:42 AM, Kate Lorenzen <starmstbl@dwave.net> wrote:
>
>
> Just have patience with them, Anne. I got a mated adult pair and 4
> unrelated young ones (4 or 6 months old, I forget.......was 5 or so years
> ago now) from a long-time breeder in the area, and they took the time to
> explain a lot about them to me. One of those things was that Guineas
> needed to get used to the environment they lived in for a year's worth of
> it's changes before they'd settle down into a good "alert" routine. Things
> - activities, other critters, etc etc etc - differ from season to
> season.....more wild birds & animals & etc will be seen in warmer weather
> than cold (spring/summer versus winter & such), there'll be things like
> snowplows & such for them to get used to seeing & hearing in the wintertime,
> etc etc etc. Each new change like that will set them to sounding off until
> they become accustomed to them being a "normal" thing for that time of year,
> so they might be a bit noisier than you expect for the first year until they
> do get used to them. Mine squawked at the mail person's vehicle for about a
> week until they got used it's being a regular normal thing - etc etc.
CHICKENS-101@yahoogroups.com
No comments:
Post a Comment