That's good news. My guineas don't start a racket if we are in the back yard or
our dogs are. They do start a racket if a stranger comes around or an animal
that doesn't belong here. They are always in the fenced yard before dark.
I have no proof but I think they keep the bugs and ticks down in the yard. I
haven't found any on our Aussie Sheppard this year. That may change when it
gets really hot.
You didn't say what kind of chickens you have. I am trying so hard not to add
anything to my flock this summer. I am out of control. I gave my last pair of
Silver Polish to a friend over the weekend. Trying to downsize.
Have you ever been to the auction in Gray, Ga. It's not to far from you. About
an hour from me and we go now and then. Interesting and fun. I usually don't
suggest buying poultry at auction, but this is a very well run place with a
thorough check in system to prevent any but healthy animals in the area. What is
the name of the town you live in. My husband's work takes him in your area.
Susan
________________________________
From: Hudson <lovedle2@gmail.com>
To: CHICKENS-101@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thu, April 21, 2011 10:21:46 PM
Subject: Re: [CHICKENS-101] guinea question Attn: Susan
Hi Susan:
I'm really getting excited about have a few 'loud' guineas, because I
understand they will be very loud if overhead predators are around, plus the
fact they eat ticks and other insects, in addition to deterring snakes.
I sure hope all of this is true, and I don't get a bunch of fowl who just
love to sit around and squawk all day and night.
We have about 40 acres around the house that are full of ticks. My husband
takes the Belgian Malinois dog for a walk in the woods every day, and she
comes back with teeny ticks on her, although she's on Frontline Plus, they
still continue to be on her coat after every walk. It would be wonderful to
have the Guineas rid the place of those horrible pesky 'things'. I hate
them! They not only get on the dogs but also on my horse and of course on
us humans.
CHICKENS-101@yahoogroups.com
No comments:
Post a Comment