Don't get an odd number of them, Anne - get an even number. Guineas are happier in pairs - whether they pair off with a member of the opposite sex, or pair off with just a buddy of the same sex. The breeders taught me that, too, and it's rung *very* true. The odd one out generally either gets agressive toward the others, or gets underdog picked on by the others.
Be patient for those miracles - the longer you have them, the more accustomed & familiar they get with you too and do more amazing things "for you" (or so it would seem, LOL). I had a couple of chickens that would come up to my screen door every afternoon at exactly 4 PM for me to throw some treats (generally some of the horses' grain, or even dry generic rice crispies cereal). At rare times one or two would be there but not some of the usual others, so I'd call "here chick chick chick chick chick" and watch them come running. The Guineas (not all of them, but some) eventually wised up to the chickens getting something to eat whenever I'd call them, and started run-waddling up as well. So I started calling "here chick chick chick guinea guinea guinea" to all of them. Now, that's come in handy a few times when I've needed to gather either all of them or one or the other into the coop quickly for some reason - the guineas know their call, the chickens know theirs, and whichever I'm calling comes running (or run-waddling in the Guineas case, LOL!).
I can't wait to hear how your new Guineas react to seeing the scarecrow for the very first time - that's going to be hysterical!!!
Kate in WI :-)
<< Hi Y'all:
Thanks so much for all the wise answers on my become a new Mom. I have
decided to purchase about 15 babies. Thank you Kate for taking the time to
write. Your reply has convinced me. Yes! I'll have lots of patience. I'm
sure they will be protectors of my beautiful flock of hens. (42). I do
worry about hawks, although at the present time they are protected overhead
by Kite string every 12-14" apart. (Ol Georges idea). I've put out lots of
CD's, plastic owl and radio. I'm ordering a scarecrow form and will make up
a real ugly Dude. LOL! However, I want my chicks to run out in the pasture
and I'll be constantly worried about them. I'm expecting miracles from the
Guinea's I suppose. They'll sure have a good home here and we are anxious
to get our order placed this weekend.
Have a wonderful Easter.
Anne H.
Middle Georgia >>
Thanks so much for all the wise answers on my become a new Mom. I have
decided to purchase about 15 babies. Thank you Kate for taking the time to
write. Your reply has convinced me. Yes! I'll have lots of patience. I'm
sure they will be protectors of my beautiful flock of hens. (42). I do
worry about hawks, although at the present time they are protected overhead
by Kite string every 12-14" apart. (Ol Georges idea). I've put out lots of
CD's, plastic owl and radio. I'm ordering a scarecrow form and will make up
a real ugly Dude. LOL! However, I want my chicks to run out in the pasture
and I'll be constantly worried about them. I'm expecting miracles from the
Guinea's I suppose. They'll sure have a good home here and we are anxious
to get our order placed this weekend.
Have a wonderful Easter.
Anne H.
Middle Georgia >>
__._,_.___
To post a message to the list go to
CHICKENS-101@yahoogroups.com
CHICKENS-101@yahoogroups.com
.
__,_._,___
No comments:
Post a Comment