As you know, I have that broody hen, Velvet (blue bantam). I also have a 10 year old black bantam named Sitsy (short for Itsy-Bitsy). There is also Pilar (Red Pyle bantam). Velvet and Pilar are both about 5 yrs. old. All 3 of these are my house chickens. I have several other various breeds of bantams in the aviaries. I normally have a cup of Mt. Dew over ice sitting on the table beside my chair. These 3 lovely birds have to come and drink my pop. Pilar will scream if I don't give it to her. Sitsy will start yanking the styrofoam cup to the point of nearly turning it over to get at it. If it's full, Pilar and Velvet will just help themselves. Sitsy is so spoiled that I have to hold and tilt the cup so that she can drink. It does not matter what I am drinking either. I can drink ice water, orange juice, coffee, and tea. When I drink hot chocolate or chocolate milk, I absolutely have to keep that out of range. No chocolate for chickens. This has gone on for so long now. I have to keep 2 drinks: 1 for me and 1 for the birds. I occasionally let 4 that are in the aviary come in for a half hour or so that are huge baby pet birds. They must drink as well. I've figured out that they want what I drink because it is cold. They love it. I don't know about any leftover coffee or tea because it is just room temp. I guess they just like the taste. But now, they don't mess with it much. Sitsy will only drink from the cup on my table, and like I said, I have to hold the cup for her until she is finished. Spoiled! That has got to be the most insane thing I've ever heard of. I have to keep my personal cup out of range. I have to put ice water in their cup frequently or I'm afraid they won't get enough water. Pilar and Velvet rarely visit the water dish. Sitsy never does. Has anyone else ever heard of anything like this. Nuts! -Dovely
CHICKENS-101@yahoogroups.com
No comments:
Post a Comment